Certification in Medical Quality
The American Board of Medical Quality offers national and international candidates a certification examination to test basic knowledge in medical quality management, including principles of clinical quality improvement.
Successful candidates are granted the CMQ (Certificate in Medical Quality) designation, based on their credentials and exam performance.
If you are interested in sitting for the ABMQ examination, then please note the following:
ABMQ’s eligibility criteria for 2018 states that candidates must:
- Have an MD, DO, DDS, or DMD with an active unrestricted license (documentation required), and experience or expertise in using the principles of quality to improve clinical practice; OR
- Have a Pharm D, JD [health law]. Or other doctorate in a health-related field (documentation required), with experience or expertise in using the principles of quality improvement; OR
- Be a holder of a postgraduate degree (documentation required of a master’s or higher, e.g., MPH, NPA, MSc, MBA, MSN) and experience or expertise in using the principles of quality improvement; OR
- Submit a written statement, to be reviewed and approved by the ABMQ exam committee, showing proof of:
i. Training or participation in education activities in healthcare quality; OR
ii. Expertise in quality management, measurement, assessment or improvement; OR
iii. Full membership in the American College of Medical Quality
Suggested Study Materials:
Study materials in the basic tenets of medical quality management and clinical quality improvement as suggested by the American College of Medical Quality are:
- The ACMQ textbook Medical Quality Management: Theory and Practice, 2009;
- The Health Care Quality Book: Vision, Strategy and Tools. Third Edition. Nash D et al, 2014;
- Introduction to Health Care Quality: Theory, Methods, and Tools. Dlugacz Y, 2016;
- Other resources that may be announced later.
15 September 2018Place:
Jumeirah Etihad Towers Hotel, Abu Dhabi, UAEDuration/Format:
Two hours/multiple choice questions (proctored examination)Designation of successful candidates:
Certified in Medical Quality (CMQ)