Certification in Medical Quality
2019 Examination: Certification in Medical Quality (CMQ)
The American Board of Medical Quality offers national and international candidates a certification examination to test basic knowledge in medical quality management, including principles of clinical quality improvement. Successful candidates are granted the CMQ (Certificate in Medical Quality) designation, based on their credentials and exam performance. If you are interested in sitting for the ABMQ examination, then please note the following:
All candidates for certification must complete the online application before the published deadline of registration, 30th September 2019.
All applications will be reviewed and approved by the ABMQ Applications Review Committee, whose members are appointed by the chair of the ABMQ Board of Directors.
If you meet the essential eligibility criteria for candidates you will be notified by email that your application has been approved and you can proceed with payment and registration.
Steps on How to Apply
Follow these steps in order to apply for candidacy for the certification examination:
- STEP 1: Download the CMQ Application Form (Link)
- STEP 2: Fill out the details of the form and submit all the documents needed for the ABMQ Committee to review. Send to thru the following mode:
Snail mail: ABMQ, 225 W. Wacker Dr., Suite 650, Chicago, IL, USA 60606
- STEP 3: Wait for the confirmation letter by email from ABMQ
- STEP 4: Once you receive the confirmation letter by email from ABMQ, proceed with the registration and payment (link)
- STEP 5: Notification for confirmed payment will be sent to your email address along with the details of the examination.
ABMQ’s eligibility criteria for 2019 states that candidates must:
- Have an MD, DO, DDS, or DMD with an active unrestricted license (documentation required), and experience or expertise in using the principles of quality to improve clinical practice; OR
- Have a Pharm D, JD [health law], or other doctorate in a health-related field (documentation required), with experience or expertise in using the principles of quality improvement; OR
- Be a holder of a postgraduate degree (documentation required of a master’s or higher, e.g., MPH, MSc, MBA, MSN) and experience or expertise in using the principles of quality improvement; OR
- Submit a written statement, to be reviewed and approved by the ABMQ exam committee, showing proof of:
a. Training or participation in education activities in healthcare quality; OR
b. Expertise in quality management, measurement, assessment or improvement; OR
c. Full membership in the American College of Medical Quality
Suggested Study Materials
Study materials in the basic tenets of medical quality management and clinical quality improvement as suggested by the American College of Medical Quality are:
- The ACMQ textbook Medical Quality Management: Theory and Practice, 2009;
- The Health Care Quality Book: Vision, Strategy and Tools. 3rd Edition. Nash D et al, 2014;
- The Quality Handbook for Health Care Organizations. Dlugacz Y et al, 2004;
- Introduction to Health Care Quality: Theory, Methods, and Tools. Dlugacz Y, 2016
Medical Quality Management: Theory and Practice, 2009 can be purchased on these links:
- Candidates must report to the exam site as instructed on your letter of acceptance. Candidates arriving late may be admitted at the discretion of the chief proctor.
- No pager, cell phones, alarms, or similar devices may be operative during the exam. Candidates will be reminded to turn such devices off prior to the exam. Any person using such devices may be dismissed from the exam room and disqualified from the examination. Tablets, e-readers and other handheld computers are also prohibited.
- No books, reference materials, or study aids of any sort are allowed in the exam room unless stored in the back of the room as directed by the chief proctor.
- We request all interested participants to wait for the email confirmation letter by ABMQ prior to registering & processing payment for the exam. All payments are non-refundable.
- Professionals who were approved for candidacy in 2018 and interested to take this year are instructed to resend their application to the ABMQ Committee for re-approval.
- Professionals who were approved for candidacy in 2018 & has paid the fees, you are kindly instructed to resend again your application to the ABMQ Committee for re-approval.
- All confirmed candidates are requested to complete their payment before 25 October, 2019.
- On-site & late payments will not be admitted to the Exam.
For further information, please contact: Ms. Jan
) | 97124919888