The American Board of Medical Quality offers national and international candidates a certification examination to test basic knowledge in medical quality management, including principles of clinical quality improvement.
Successful candidates are granted the CMQ (Certificate in Medical Quality) designation, based on their credentials and exam performance.
If you are interested in sitting for the ABMQ examination, then please note the following:
A. Candidates must be:
- an MD, DO, DDS, DPM, or DMD with an active unrestricted license, OR
- a PharmD, JD in health law, or other doctoral health professional, OR
- NEW: A holder of a post-graduate degree (Master’s or higher) and employed in a position that demonstrates experience or abilities in quality management, OR
- a full member of the American College of Medical Quality.
B. In addition, candidates must EITHER:
- Hold or be working towards active employment in clinical quality management, measurement, assessment, improvement, or similar type of activities; OR
- Hold or be working towards an advanced degree (masters or higher) with quality components, e.g., MPH, MPA, MHA, MBA; OR
- Practice clinical medicine full time, in any setting; OR
- Submit a written statement, to be reviewed and approved by the ABMQ exam committee, describing interest or expertise in quality management, measurement, assessment or improvement.
Suggested Study Materials:
Study materials in the basic tenets of medical quality management and clinical quality improvement as suggested by the American College of Medical Quality are:
- The ACMQ textbook Medical Quality Management: Theory and Practice, 2009;
- The Health Care Quality Book: Vision, Strategy and Tools. Third Edition. Nash D et al, 2014;
- The Quality Handbook for Health Care Organizations. Dlugacz Y et al, 2004;
- Other resources that may be announced later.
September 16, 2017 in the afternoon, time to be announced later.
Place: Intercontinental Hotel, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Two hours/multiple choice questions (proctored examination)
Designation of successful candidates: Certified in Medical Quality (CMQ)